03 November 2008

Book: The Vampire of New York by Lee Hunt


It's been awhile since I've posted about a book. That doesn't mean I stopped reading, however. :)

This is a 358 page, paperback, Signet Novel.

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned that I really hate to purchase new books. Nearly all the books I own are used...and lots of fun. This one however, was purchased at a franchise book shoppe in the Orlando airport. I needed something to read on the flight home. I had already picked up a paperback copy of New Moon (since I'd read Twilight on my flight out), but was afraid I might finish it too quickly. This one caught my eye...and I'm happy I picked it up.

Obviously, this is a vampire book. I have enjoyed vampire novels for years. I love the nuances of mythology that come out and the different approaches to telling their tales.

This one is set as a mystery. The crime occurred during the civil war and it is being investigated in modern time. The writer takes you back and forth between 1863 and modern day. Overall it is an interesting tale with some intriguing twists and an ending I didn't see coming.

Even if you're not a fan of vampire novels, I think anyone could enjoy the mystery and historical context of this story. I've never heard of the author, I think this is his first book. Like I said, it is interesting and reads quickly. I think the story could have been developed a bit more in some areas and loose ends tied up a little tighter...including the ending and it's plausibility based on the tale that is spun.

Bottom Line: I enjoyed it. It was a bit fanciful but drew me in. I'll keep it on my ever bulging book shelf.

2 comments:

Auntie Em said...

Interesting, I never figured you for a vampire girl. I have never been able to read any of those types of books as to this day they give me nightmares. Strange huh??

ocm said...

A.L.: Ah yes...definitely with the vamps. Too bad about the nightmares...I could recommend some fine tales!

: )