This is one of C.S.Lewis's early works (1933) and is not a fast paced fantasy nor is it an overtly theological discussion. It is an allegory.
I've never read Bunyan's tale of the Pilgrim's Progress so I cannot make a comparison. What I can say is this book surprised me in the end. It was a slower read for me requiring a little thought and recalling of other philosophers and ideologies of the 20th century.
For me it was well worth it. Here I am living in 2008-seventy-five years after this book was published and it fits. Of course things continue to change through time, but our civilization still falls back to the same ideologies time and again.
I was struck also by the journey the main character takes. I do believe that often what we seek most is just what we run from the quickest. Does this make sense, probably not. Is this my final thought? Yes.
This was another smaller book-199 pages in my paperback edition. I felt the pace was slower, but there is information to process. I recommend this book. It is easy to follow and if there is something that doesn't click---there is always Google search!
Bottom Line: In my library!
: )
No comments:
Post a Comment